At Kirk’s Mountain Adventures, it is an understatement to say that we love Rocky Mountain National Park. This picturesque national treasure is both our passion and our home. Our Rocky Mountain hiking trips take you through the breathtaking mountain views, fascinating wildlife, and gorgeous bodies of water that are quintessentially Colorado. To get you excited for your trip, here are some fun facts about Rocky Mountain National Park:
- Longs Peak is the highest point in the park at 14,259 feet.
- There are more than 360 miles of trails in Rocky Mountain National Park.
- Rocky Mountain National Park is home to some of the oldest rocks in the National Parks System. Some of the rocks are 1.7 billion years old!
- Snowshoe hares and short tailed weasels, two natives to the park, turn white during the winter to hide from predators.
- Throughout history, giant glaciers have left their marks, and there are still some small glaciers in the park.
- There are more than 63 different species of mammals that live in Rocky Mountain National Park, including mountain lions, foxes, black bears, and bighorn sheep.
- There are more than 280 species of birds identified in the park.
- Due to its high elevation, autumn comes early in the park. There is often snow while the leaves are only starting to change in other parts of the country.
- Rocky Mountain National Park has more than 1,000 types of flowers. Because the altitude spans between 7,600 to over 14,000 feet, they grow in a variety of environments.
Now that you know all about Rocky Mountain National Park, come visit it with us! Call Kirk’s Mountain Adventures for our Rocky Mountain hiking trips today.